One Act Play Festivals
A one-act play festival is a competition based festival, usually of one-act 'plays'. Plays are usually text based works written by either established playwrights or emerging new writers, directors or community theatre companies/groups.
The VDL supports a range of festivals held each year. Festivals are usually hosted by established community theatre companies and provide an opportunity for everyone to participate in a weekend of community based theatre.
Plays are usually presented over a weekend with performances taking place in sessions, usually Friday evenings, all day Saturday and Sundays if required. A range of prizes can be won and plays are usually judged by an independent adjudicator with an awards presentation held at the end of the festival. Participants usually receive feedback on their performance via an adjudicators report, either verbal or in writing.
One Act Play Festivals are organised and run independently of the VDL.
Any query about rules or management of the Festivals should be directed to the relevant organisers.
As a guide, most companies use variations of the following rules.
Please note that the VDL does not endorse nor prescribe these rules.
- Running Time: Usually between 15 to 45-50 minutes per production
- Number of characters: Check with the host company
- "Bump in" time 10 minutes, "bump out" time 5 minutes
- Royalties to be paid by the participant(s)
- A copy of the script should be sent with the entry
- Information about cast, play & company is usually sent to the organisers with the entry from for inclusion in the program
- Entry fees vary from festival to festival
Note that festival dates occasionally overlap. It is our hope that festival organisers will avoid placing festivals on the same weekend as another.
The VDL and One Act Play Festivals.
The VDL supports a range of one act play festivals held each year by -
- providing an opportunity to promote the festivals in Theatrecraft magazine and on the website
- sponsoring a $50 youth encouragement award, called the Theatrecraft Youth Unlimited Award, to eligible festivals.
The Theatrecraft Youth Unlimited Award - conditions and eligibility
- the festival organising body must be a theatre company that is a financial member of the VDL
- the festival program must include actors 21 years and under
- festival organisers need to contact the VDL Office 3 weeks prior to the festival to register their request for an award
- the festival organiser is to include information about the VDL (to be supplied) in the printed program for the festival
- the winner to be decided by the festival adjudicator
- the certificate to be presented where possible by a member of the VDL Committee of Management
- the winner to contact the VDL Office to claim their prize money
Looking for a One Act Play?
The VDL's library has an extensive collection of plays including one act plays. Members are eligible to hire either individual plays or sets of plays at very reasonable rates.
For further details about hiring from the library, contact the VDL office by email or telephone 03 9663 4222.
One Act Play Festivals for 2017
Sat 26 Aug 2017
to Sun 27 Aug 2017
Anglesea One Act Play Festival
Adjudicator: Doug Mann
Information: Christine Walker
Telephone: 0408 444 199
Entries: C/O Post Office, Anglesea 3230
Festival Address: Anglesea Community Hall
Mc Millan Street
Anglesea Vic 3230
Fri 01 Sep 2017
to Sun 03 Sep 2017
Kyneton's 61st Festival of One Act Plays
Adjudicator: To be advised
Information: Marg Dearricott
Telephone: (03) 5422 2282 or 0437 584 807
Entries: POST ENTRIES TO
Kyneton's Festival of One Act Plays and Kyneton Daffodil & Arts Festival Inc,
PO Box 59,
OR CALL ON p (03) 5422 2282 or m 0437 584 807
Festival Address: Kyneton Bluestone Theatre,
28 Hutton Street,
Sat 09 Sep 2017
to Sun 10 Sep 2017
Seymour Performers Workshop 2017
One Act Play Festival
Information: Brett Harvey
Telephone: To be advised
Seymour Performers Workshop
Festival Address: Seymour Community Arts Centre
Anglesey Street, Seymour
Fri 22 Sep 2017
to Sun 24 Sep 2017
Monash One Act Play Festival hosted by Peridot Theatre
Adjudicator: Susan Rundle
The Monash One Act Play Festival is hosted by
Full detail on Peridot's Website
Festival Address: Peridot Theatre, Mt Waverley Secondary College,
Lechte Rd Mt Waverley 3149
Melway Ref 61 F11
Fri 20 Oct 2017
to Sat 21 Oct 2017
Deloraine Festival of One Act Plays
Adjudicator: To be advised
Information: Patricia Woods
Telephone: 0409 568 291
Closing Date: Fri 29 Sep 2017
Festival Address: Deloraine Little Theatre,
Meander Valley Rd